Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tinkertown: A Rare Find!





When I was in 2nd grade, my teacher took us on a field trip to a hideaway in the woods. It seemed like a long drive, but when we arrived, I was in awe. The wall in front of me was made by hand with recycled materials, and what lay inside was even more amazing.

20 years later, Tinkertown is still one of my most favorite places to visit. The original, handmade wall outside the home/office/gift shop is still standing, though it's since been improved upon. I love to take my daughter there and let her "wander in wonder", as they say in Tinkertown. If you have never been, you really are missing a hidden treasure not so far from home.

The walls are made of recycled glass bottles, surrounding a museum of 22 rooms filled with hand-carved and hand-painted wooden figurines. There are multiple animated scenes of different themes, and numerous collections of antiques and other collectables. Every room is just a little different, and you will wander through the halls with your mouth open in amazement.

The best part about this little gem, is that the admission prices are SUPER cheap. A few years ago, I took my daughter up for a day-visit, and because the weather was a bit cold (and part of the "tour" is outside) they gave us half price admission off the already very low prices. The funny thing is, it was NEVER intended to be a museum. It was a private collection that went public after people repeatedly asked for permission to view what was inside.They only charge admission to help pay for the running costs and upkeep.

And, that "long drive" I remember... yep, only 20 minutes from Albuquerque and the drive is amazingly pretty. It's a short, winding road through Cedar Crest and tucked in behind the trees. They don't do much advertising, and if you aren't watchful you can easily drive right past it!

I cannot stress enough how much I love this place and how well worth it I've found it to be when considering how close to home it is and how little is costs to gain entry. There is so much to see, you can easily spend hours just gazing through the windows into the many, many scenes. At the end of the tour you end up in the amazing gift shop, with many little figurines and even surprise bags for boys or girls that include some pretty impressive (but secret) items.

ADULTS: $3.50 
GEEZERS (62+): $3.00
KIDS 4-16: $1.00 

KIDS Under 4: Free

Please check out their website for pictures, driving directions, history and more. You can find them at: Tinkertown Museum


No comments:

Post a Comment